Home Sis Life Our Adventure in Japanese Baseball #3: Welcoming the Baby

Our Adventure in Japanese Baseball #3: Welcoming the Baby

Our Adventure in Japanese Baseball #3: Welcoming the Baby

Let me start off by apologizing for taking this long to finish my blog about my childbirth experience in Japan! It has been three months, but I remember everything like it was yesterday.


We checked into the Fujitou Clinic on Monday, May 25th, to be induced two weeks early. We had to induce because everything works around baseball schedules, right? Can you hear my sarcasm through this blog? That day worked because he had an off day the next day. So, anyway, I checked in and my husband took several pictures and signed autographs for fans. They took us to my room to drop off the obscene amount of stuff that I brought, and then I was off to get a balloon put in to get my cervix dilated, start Petocin and get what I believed to be an epidural. The balloon was the most uncomfortable thing ever! Imagine a tampon hanging half out for hours. Sorry, gross, I know. Right when I got the epidural I knew I was in trouble. First, because I got it right away. Second, because they brought my food when I got back to the room. Lastly, I could walk feeling my legs and go to the bathroom. I kept saying to myself that it would kick in. Well, it never did. Ladies I am one for medicine and drugs. My thought is why be in pain when you don’t have to? This is totally my opinion, and if you choose to have natural birth, more power to you, but I did not want that trophy.

The day started off OK. My husband and I played cards, and watched a movie, his pitching coach and wife even stopped by (which was odd… because I was in labor!). After a few hours the balloon fell out, and shortly after that my water broke. That is when it got real, and real quick. My contractions went from 0-100. My best description of contraction pain is (graphic again) that you feel like your tailbone is coming out of your butt. Sorry! My husband was amazing – supportive, yet not annoying the entire time. I was lucky to have a midwife who spoke perfect English to stay with me the entire time! After much cussing at my midwife and husband for 15 hours, and 5 hours of pushing, my midwife told me to stop pushing, she could see her head now, and that I need to get up and walk to the delivery room. I let out some very bad words and said, “you want me to what?”. She told me to walk or she would get a wheelchair. Delirious and completely exhausted, my thinking was if I sit the baby will go back up! Not rational thinking, I know, but I got up and walked to the delivery room. Thirty minutes later she was out….all 8 lbs 5 oz of her!!! They had told me to expect a 7 lb baby. No one tells you about after delivering the baby, and how you now have to get the placenta out. The last thing I wanted was more poking and prodding at me. That took another 30 minutes! All I wanted to do was sleep. Finally I was moved to my room, where I passed out but was soon woken up every hour to test my blood pressure and make sure I wasn’t bleeding heavily.


I will say, my room was gorgeous, and unlike America where you get kicked out after 48 hours, I got to spend 7 days and send my baby down to the nursery anytime I wanted. So, I got a few restful nights! I also got five star cuisine my entire stay. If it wasn’t for not having an epidural I would have every child in Japan!


Having my first child has made me respect and admire women like Karen Moyer who has had six, all while having a husband who was playing baseball!

Japanese Newspaper Announcement for Baby

Click below for previous posts in this series:
Our Adventure in Japanese Baseball #1
Our Adventure in Japanese Baseball #2


Lauren Zagurski Lauren Hommell Zagurski is the wife of MLB & NPB pitcher Mike Zagurski.